Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's day to my lovely mommy....


I entered a contest a few months ago to write about something that is close to you heart. I chose to write about my mom! See my essay below.

Children and mothers never truly part - Bound in the beating of each other's heart.
Charlotte Gray

She is my mother, the greatest influence in my life. Not only as a mom but also as a best friend and sister I never had. She has taught me to always try my best, to treat everyone equally, to not give up when things get hard. She tells me to at all times be honest because in the end, lies always hurt more. When I make decisions and she doesn't always agree with them, she makes sure that I know that she is behind me all the way because she wants me to always be happy. She has taught me right from wrong and the significance of self-respect. Cancer is an illusive illness that has amazing ways of surprising the people that it afflicts and their families. You will see my family was no different. In May 2009, I heard six words I never wanted to hear from my dad “Ashley, your mom has breast cancer.“ As that moment in time stood still and I was numb with fear. I had no idea how much our lives would be changed forever. At a moments time, my world came crashing down. The thought that this spiteful disease could take away someone so close to my heart was sickening. I knew my mom would be strong because she was already successful at disguising this diagnosis during my wedding. I knew in my heart there was something on my mom’s mind during my wedding but I brushed it off by thinking this is her only daughter getting married and she is grown up and on her own now. Hopefully this will be an end to one tough journey in her life and the beginning of the next chapter. You should never take your parents for granted. My mom instilled this in me as a child. But as I grow with age I realize the numerous sacrifices my parents made. At the time I may not have always been appreciative. In the last year especially understand this and I am very appreciative. At a moments time this can be taken away from you. I hope that when I am a mother I can instill the things I learned from my mom. I will close with one last thought about my mother. My mother is more than what a mother is supposed to be - she is what every mother should aspire to be. My mother is who I hope to be one day.

3 comments:

  1. And you totally got my vote on that one! Totally did...

    What a sweet story and a sweet relationship you have with your mama! Happy Mother's Day to her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet tribute to your mom. I'm so glad you had a fabulous Mother's Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies..... this was a great mother's day because she is done with all of her treatment and we are not looking back :)

    ReplyDelete