Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chicken Tamale Casserole ........


I came across some great recipes on the cooking light website (http://www.cookinglight.com/). I was looking for some new dinner options. This will help cure your craving for Mexican food with fewer calories.


Ingredients:

1 cup of reduced fat Mexican blend cheese, divided

1/3 cup 2% milk or fat free

1/4 cup of egg whites or egg substitute

1 teaspoon of ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or ground red pepper

1 can of cream style corn - I used reduced sodium

8.5 ounce of corn muffin mix

4 ounce can of chopped green chiles, drained

1 can red enchilada sauce

2 cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded - I used ground chicken

fat free or reduced fat sour cream for topping

Cooking spray to coat dish


Cooking Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees


Combine 1/4 cup of cheese and the next 7 ingredients (through the chiles) in a bowl , stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.


Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over the top. Next top with chicken and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and top each with a dollop of sour cream.


Nutrition Information:

Calories - 354

Fat - 14.1 g

Iron - 1.7 mg

Cholesterol - 58mg

Calcium - 179mg

Carbs - 36.3g

Sodium - 620mg

Protein - 18.9g

Fiber - 2.5g


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I was making out my grocery list and am TOTALLY making this for dinner one night this week.

    Have you already made it...what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! It was really good. I will post something else I made from cooking light. It was a different dish but I like it even more than this one. I will post it tonight!

    ReplyDelete